Skip to main content

You’re not ready



One worker-director’s personal journey

I value myself as an ordinary person, as a human being, and went down the route of looking for employment. I was told by Job Centre Plus that I had to seek advice from a disability employment advisor (DEA). I attended the appointment where the DEA spent the appointment on explaining how I’d never find employment. It made me feel unworthy and felt I was the problem, where the problem was they couldn’t find the appropriate employment for me because it wasn’t out there.

So the message I’m giving is it wasn’t my problem, it was theirs.

So, he sent me to supported employment agencies that he thought would suit me, and the various work placements and training came into this. I decided to knock that on the head because it made me feel ‘special’ in the shut out and stared at way. And none of it led to employment.

I’ve always remembered the Wetherspoon’s story, and that story kept me going. Wetherspoon’s was started by someone who was told by his teacher he would never succeed in business.  The teacher’s name was Wetherspoon, so that’s what the man called his first successful business. 

Now I’m the one who’s proved them wrong. I have created work for myself and other people. It just needed people who shared my vision to come together and get on with it – some of those people are now colleagues and some are from outside Barod, including the Work Choice provider I finally got myself referred to.

And, in case you are wondering, Barod isn’t the name of my old teacher but it was chosen for the same reason. Job Centre Plus said I wasn’t ready. The Disability Employment Advisor back then sent me on courses because I wasn’t ready.

Our company?


 It’s called Barod, because we are in Wales and in Welsh, Barod means Ready.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Co-researcher, insider researcher or gatekeeper?

What do you call a researcher with learning disabilities? Most people call them a 'co-researcher'. We think that's OK as long everyone doing the research is called a co-researcher. But if you have 'the researcher' working with 'the co-researcher', it's like saying only one of them is a real researcher. We often hear people talking about the researcher and the co-researcher. It's like having a Chair and a Co-chair, rather than two Co-chairs.  That annoys us because if you don't need them both then why have them both in the team? And if you do need them both, why give one a higher status just because the knowledge and experience they bring is different?  So rather than using the term co-researcher, we prefer to say academic researcher and activist researcher. When they do research together we might call them both co-researchers if we need to, but usually we would talk about them co-researching. Researching together is an activity, not an identity

Learning Report from the DRILL funded Self Advocacy Toolkit research

What Makes a Good Self Advocacy Project: The added value of co-production What this Learning Report is about This is about co-produced research funded by DRILL to define what makes a good self advocacy project and to make an Evaluation Toolkit for self advocates and funders to use.   The five people who did the DRILL funded research together are: ·     two independent academic researchers (Jan, who was subcontracted by All Wales People First, and Bryan, who worked as part of BAROD), ·     two activist researchers (Alan and Simon)  ·     one supporter / technical advisor (Mal). We also had support from Anne Collis, BAROD The four researchers all had equal roles and equal responsibilities.  The Report explains how we all worked together to co-produce the research and the Toolkit. The Report considers what made it possible for co-production to work well. How the Project started This project started with All Wales

Swansea really does have jargon busters

On Tuesday, we ran a game at the Swansea Behaviour Change Festival. We called it ' Swansea’s Got Jargon*-Busters'. *Jargon: a word or phrase not used in everyday life, or that is being used with a different, special meaning. It often goes with waffling and speaking too fast. We wanted to see if, when faced with a panel of three people with learning difficulties, people could talk for 2 minutes about their job or what they'd learned at the Festival without using jargon. If someone on the panel couldn't understand them easily, they would buzz. Three buzzes and you're out. If you are still going at 2 minutes, you got a rosette saying 'I'm a Jargon Buster'.  Summary People who took part, the panel and the observers were surprised and pleased that people succeeded. Face to face communication is easier than communicating in writing. Jargon is comfortable. You need to know your subject to be able to explain it without jargon. If you find